Wednesday, June 15, 2011

OK, so some background

Before I get ahead of myself posting all the photos I will tell you a bit about this project. I started it a little earlier this year after my 13th move in 6 years. I kept telling myself that I was done moving and yet over and over again I kept moving.


I moved for space, I moved for love, I moved as love changed and relationships ended, I moved as I needed to find myself, find new things, find new ways of being.


Every time I moved, started over, set up another space as home (all of the places I counted in the 13 were places I stayed for at least 3 months- the ones that were "temporary" didn't make the cut) I found ways to do that worked better, answered and wrote new equations into the problems of:


What is home?


What is it made of?


How is it made/put together/arranged?


I transitioned during this process (somewhere over the course of houses 3-7) and also pose myself with the questions:


How are home making and building of homes differently gendered and viewed positions within the same process? How do I undertake both?




I started by referencing images of each of the houses I have lived in since getting my first apartment at 19. I had to use google maps street view to find some of them because I didn't really remember them all vividly enough to reincarnate them as a miniature. I found them, traced them, sketched them and began the long process of building them. I expect it will take me a very long time to get through all of them, and I expect that by the time I get to the most complicated I will be working on them from a home which I will not leave in 6 months. I am preparing to move to the woods and build a home that's real size. A home that I can raise my babies in and organize my community from. And before I do that I want to take a really solid inventory of what I have learned about home. So, through the journey of my hands, I will get right into each house, what made it a home, what lessons I would like to leave, and the wisdom I have gleaned along the way that has woven it's way into my understanding of home, love and growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment